Sunday, April 03, 2005

Lame Advice-Giving Email Signatures

If there's one thing that really irritates me, it's when people include some sappy, supposedly uplifting saying or slogan in their email signature or IM away message. Here are a few examples of unacceptable such drivel:

one of my least favorite: "Dance like nobody's watching, sing like nobody's listening, and love like you've never been hurt." (in researching this post I found that this is actually part of a Mark Twain quotation, which I must admit raises the saying's esteem in my view but it still remains disgusting when used in as trite a manner as an email signature);

one that's not quite as bad, but still totally inappropriate: "Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion";

"only if you have been in the deepest valley, can you ever know how magnificent it is to be atop the highest mountain" (See the quotable Richard Nixon);

These few examples and the countless other quotes of this nature are not inherently bad; it just baffles me as to why people feel they are capable of causing even the mildest level of inspiration in readers of their emails. I, for one, am not so inspired.

"Don't ever stop trying to get to where you always wanted to be. The moment you stop trying is the moment your dreams stop coming true."

3 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll never know til you reach the top if it was worth the uphill climb.

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm of the opinion that the smiths provided the most inspiring lines of all time:

"i want to live and i want to love. i want to catch something that i might be ashamed of."

how come no one ends their emails with this?

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite...

"My boyfriend gave me a mood ring. When I'm happy it makes a blue color, when I'm mad it makes a red mark on his forehead."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home