Monday, May 16, 2005

Coffee's For Closers

I apologize to those of you who continued checking back in to PositiveMode this weekend, only to find the lyrics to Tears For Fears' "Head over Heels" perpetually headlining this publication. I was in New York for the weekend, and was rarely in a condition to make intelligent or interesting posts.

I did see an excellent production of Glengarry Glen Ross, starring Alan Alda and Liev Schreiber. It's a little short, but I would recommend it. One caveat: for those of you who are only familiar with this play from the 1992 movie inspired by it, the play does not contain Alec Baldwin's somewhat famous "Always Be Closing" speech. That monologue struck me as somewhat Mamet-esque (I write that sentence with as little pretentiousness as is possible) and I thought it would be in the play, but it is not.

Speaking of Alec Baldwin, did anyone ever see the SNL skit where he played "The Mimic"? He is supposed to be a sort of private-detective helper guy who is able to perfectly mimic any person's voice after hearing it just once. Of course, he is not as good at imitating voices as he thinks. If anyone has this episode on tape or otherwise recorded, I would like to know, as SNLtranscripts has the episode, but not the transcript for that particular bit.

"HelloOOOOO? This is Mrs. Devereaux? I can't hear you, I'm at the CIRCUS! Doot doot dooda doot da doot doo doodah!" (Thanks, Jill F.).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home