Thursday, June 09, 2005

It's Not You, It's Me

This is probably the fifth time in PositiveMode's semi-short life that I've had to apologize for an extended Blog Hiatus. Sadly, it's been very difficult adjusting to a new home-blog-computer, but I'm trying my best to develop the fortitude to blog forward. I am getting DSL soon, which will help; also, a key setback I faced last time I tried to post was when I found that the Apple computer I've been using does not offer the same tools on the post page, namely the Hyperlink tool (and even if I did have the patience to enter linking manually, I also don't have the power to access the HTML). I can only assure you that I will try my best (as contrasted with "do my best", which for you would be a more solid assurance, but "try" is all I'm offering).

As usual, I hope that my time away has not entirely driven away the few loyalists that I so heartfeltfully counted on.

Here are many of the topics that I would have blogged on had my Blog Wheels been more properly greased (so to speak):

- The decades-old problem that news must be packaged as entertainment if its proponents are to continue being able to give us news, and the distortion that thus inevitably occurs (this criticism, of course, is based on the assumption that there is an objectively and accurately knowable "truth"; the only incorrect aspect of that assumption I think is that such total truth is, in fact, knowable).

- How many magazine subscriptions it is reasonable for a person to have (more specifically, how many subscriptions should I have? Different people have different needs and wants, of course).

- At what height on a typical full commuter train does the center of gravity reside? My guess is that it's not much higher than the axles. All that mechanical stuff seems prettyy heavy.

- The heterozygousness of apples

- Attention Modewatch: a new Mode has arrived - NeutralMode, located at neutralmode.blogspot.com - Details to follow.

- My attendance last weekend at a rare concert of the influential early electronic German group Kraftwerk. It was good.

- Bill O'Reilly has really gone mad. I wonder if he does his own grocery shopping. I still watch, though.

- When will we see a national manhunt news-fest for a missing person who is any combination of: a) male (sympathetic, non-criminal-suspect); b) unattractive, c) nonwhite? (this probably would have been in the same post as the previous O'Reilly one; he was "interviewing" someone, but really just stating his own wild, conclusive assumptions about the two suspects who had been arrested) (I also realize that this critique of the national media on following missing attractive white females is hardly original but this is a blog, after all).

- The greatest thing about the internet is the power to identify almost any song based on a very small string of lyrics. Think about how such a search system would be put into book format. I don't think it would be possible, no matter how much space you have.

- The White Sox still have the best record in baseball. (How do you "knock on wood" while blogging? Suggestions welcome).


I regret that these topics have not been expounded upon more thoroughly, but I see this summary approach as the only way to bring PostiveMode up-to-date (should that term be double-hyphenated (that is, should it appear as "up to date"?); I have mixed feelings).

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heterozygousness of apples -- more on that please, WEW6
WS,
MBMc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home