Monday, June 05, 2006

Is It Rude to Wear Sunglasses Inside?

I sometimes wonder whether it conveys a negative impression when I leave my sunglasses on while riding the elevator when I arrive at work in the morning. No one really says anything, but I know from past experience that people often like to make snide comments to people wearing sunglasses inside (or, to me wearing sunglasses inside). And that's fine, I guess, as I enjoy criticizing people's appearances as much as anyone. But the commentary invariably takes the form of a sarcastic reference to the relative brightness of the indoor environment. This is boring and uncreative.

People need to come up with a new sarcasticocritical comment to make to people who happen to be wearing sunglasses inside. "Pretty dark in here, huh?" is old and tired. And was never very funny. A replacement escapes me for now. But as we enter the natural-light wheelhouse that is midsummer in the Northern Hemisphere, the frequency at which these encounters are occuring is undoubtedly at or near its peak, and something needs to be done.

I suppose the only real impact I can have here, as the humble proprietor of a rarely-visited blog, is to say: if any PositiveMode readers are inclined to offer comment to indoor sunglass-wearers, be mindful of your choice of phrase. Make the world a better place and come up with something new.

On an unrelated note, Andy Rooney is really weird. What a whiner.

Also, there is a shortage of yellow shirts in Thailand. (This is really not a very interesting story but I think the headline and concept are funny).

We're also out of coffee.

5 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger PositiveMode said...

It's probably that sort of attitude that inspired Jack the Ripper to action. But I think it's some progress on the sunglasses-wearing-criticism front.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger NegativeMode said...

After doing some research, I am 100% sure that Jack the Ripper probably killed his victims, if he killed anyone at all, because they may or may not have made fun of his wearing of sunglasses during the dark London nights (or bright London days). He most likely stabbed them, although he could have used a modern-day police taser as well.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger NegativeMode said...

Also, you are an ass for wearing your sunglasses indoors. So fuck you PositiveMode.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger PositiveMode said...

Well I'm getting the sense that people really don't like the sunglasses. I will take that under consideration. Maybe that's actually what drove Jack to the murders, anger over the fact that no one liked his sunglasses. On the other hand, there is conclusive evidence that disproves that theory.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think wearing sunglasses indoors makes you look like a real cheese dick, and if i didn't know you, it would probably make me hate you, especially if you still had that girly haircut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home