Saturday, April 23, 2005

I Love I Love the '80s

A futuro-comedic pondering I experienced today while vegetating (no offense (I rabidly dislike the term "no offense" but I find myself using it more lately; I'm not certain why I found the need to express my non-intentions of offensiveness to those in vegetative states, but I guess it seems somewhat relevant these days)) in front of the television watching VH1's "I Love the '80s" was that now, in the world of a relative glut of "I Love the[...]"-type programming that we live in, will we not, someday in the future, see the then-hip stars of Stage and Screen commenting on how much they loved those shows, and the moments they loved the best. I suppose it depends, in part, on how long these shows stay relevant in our modern time. It's possible that these futuristic tribute clip shows will appear so far into the future that the stars of that time will be wearing mostly silver jumpsuits of some kind ("hat tip" to Jerry Seinfeld)(this link is not of much relevance, but I needed some practice in the ever-common Blog Art of "Hat-Tipping" - I don't care to further explain this blog phenomenon to those of you who haven't figured it out yet, but if you'd like more, check out the FAQ at Little Green Footballs, a so-called uberblog that I credit only for its prominence, not its content, of which I am mostly unfamiliar but from that which I can surmise I moderately discredit its overall content, although the writer seems rather earnest and faithful to his blogging role).

I think this show would somewhat funny, although I am not sure how the episodes would be organized. Maybe it would be broken down into century - after 2100, they could make "I Love 'I Love the 21'sts," (punctuational hat tip to SisterMode) and a shorter series called "I Love 'I Love the Late 20'ths." Or something like that. One thing we can be sure of, though, is that our futuristic nostalgia-pundits would have a fond remembrance for Michael Ian Black, and to a slightly lesser degree, Mo Rocca. There would be a momentary reference to Webster.

This pondering, as with many of my moderately humorous thoughts, fits in the category of things that might or might not make funny sketch comedy if I were in any position to write sketches, or comedy.

Reader Note as to Punctuation: the apostrophe in the decade notation above appears before the two-digit year abbreviation. Most of my fearless readers (you) surely follow the correct style usage here on occasions in which you abbreviate a decade, but I do feel the need to call attention to a commonly-made mistake in these situations. The apostrophe, of course, represents the missing "19" (in 2080 we will probably no longer make these commemorative nostalgia shows, but if we do the convention will still hold true; for now the only "I love the '80s" is the 1980s), and is not present to seque into the pluralizing "s". (Note to Sistermode: this is a good example of where an outside-quote period (or "full stop" as to which it is sometimes referred) is fully appropriate, as there is no awkward space that it holds, and actually prevents the reader from end-of-paragraph confusion. Please Comment).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home