Monday, May 02, 2005

Why That's Just Propaganda!

The word "propaganda" is thrown around a lot these days (much like the word "unblowupable"). I don't think people really have a common understanding of the word; or perhaps, more properly, they use it and its negative connotations in a very selective way.

You will frequently hear Michael Moore referred to by those on the so-called "right" as a propagandist; someone once told me that he follows the "Goebbels school of filmmaking," (Nazis!) (you will hear people on the "left" sometimes say the same about the likes of Ann Coulter, although I think she is more frequently referred to as crazy, or creepy, or a "bitch"). I don't think that any of these people are entirely correct.

While these editorialists/commentators/filmmakers/bloggers/astronauts/whoevers often use misleading persuasive techniques, even techniques associated with propaganda, I think we need to have some perspective on this term, or at least be honest enough with ourselves to recognize where it exists independent of our political point of view (I guess it doesn't need to be political; no matter how many critics said The English Patient was good, I wasn't going to like it (is this propaganda? why not? (I lied; I did not watch The English Patient, but I assume I wouldn't have liked it; Sack Lunch is more up my alley (much respect to those who get the reference without clicking the link; slightly less respect for those who need to actually click, but do so; even slightly less respect for those who neither get the reference nor click, but are still reading reading now)))).

The point being, when propaganda is, at its height, associated with authoritarian governments propagating dangerous or oppressive policies, we should hesitate to label acts of freely given and freely received speech as propaganda.

Wikipedia, a site which I am becoming increasingly impressed with, has logged an interesting discussion on the scope of the meaning of propaganda with respect to political commentary, and also provides an informative article on the term itself.

If I weren't already too-greatly distracting myself from finishing my last week of school, I would probably pontificate at greater length, but so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home