Wednesday, April 06, 2005

GoogleMaps - Success! (sort of)

I have just learned from perusing NegativeMode that a favorite reader, dj skuggs, is curious about my opinion on GoogleMaps. Well, I must say that GoogleMaps (despite my growing bias against Google "products" which has become apparent in my blog postings, but is almost certainly a distortion I have subjected myself to) is probably the most user-friendly map software online thus far, although I think it could take a little getting used to - meaning it is somewhat different from less freeform, more mainstream map sites such as MapQuest.

I, like NegativeMode, appreciate the "checks out in" Satellite Mode feature (perhaps SatelliteMode should be the next blog venture for the Charged Mode Syndicate, as I may begin taking to calling the Positive-Negative Mode dichotomy/phenomenon. (I realize that the very typing of the previous sentence verges on pure lunacy, but toeing the lunatic fringe perimeter is what fills this blog with success-bearing energy). [That sentence, too, was weird].

To give an example of the free-form technique that one must learn on GoogleMaps, HERE is a search I did for directions from my home in Washington, DC to my prior residence in Los Angeles, CA. You just type in the addresses separated by commas. It's kind of cool. It does seem, however, that MapQuest and Yahoo!Maps have GoogleMaps beat in terms of printability (the organization and ease of reading while driving, and such).

PositiveMode gives its thumbs-up to GoogleMaps, and its thumbs-down to NegativeMode.

4 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Blogger PositiveMode said...

This comment itself is a new experiment in blogging (I have never commented to my own blog post before). What probably makes it especially unusual is that I am commenting before any outside readers have commented. Fascinating.

Anyway, a particular feature of GoogleMaps I forgot to mention, and probably my favorite, is that when you click an arrow to move the map (up, down, left, or right) it just kind of slides over rather than reloading the page. That seems to be highly unique. Expect rapid competitive responses from inferior map sites.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger PositiveMode said...

Unfortunately, I have some bad news. After closely examining the suggested route - which seems pretty good all the way to Los Angeles - it appears that GoogleMaps is not locating the correct 700 W. 28th St. (it seems to be placing me somewhere in Long Beach, incorrectly). Mapquest instantly found the right location:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=700+w.+28th+St.&city=los+angeles&state=ca&zipcode=

Oh well, it's still pretty cool

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger NegativeMode said...

If you were somewhat more sophisticated, you would have discovered an even cooler feature to google maps than your so-called favorite of clicking an arrow and watching the map slide (simple minds...). If you click on the map itself, and move your cursor around, you can slide the map yourself. Much more freeform than using the arrows and way cooler. Glad that NEGATIVEMODE could make this positive addition to positivemode.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the deal with maps anyway? I mean, who makes these things?

And what's the deal with all of those oceans all over the place? What ad wizard decided to make it more difficult to get to Europe by dumping a bunch of water East of the U.S.?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home