Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Lack of Referee Criticism and Replays in NCAA Championship Game

I would appreciate anyone confirming my suspicion on this point. In fact, as far as I'm concerned it is not a suspicion but a downright accusation (reader note: I am experimenting with the use of the word "downright," so do not be alarmed by its abnormally frequent appearance on this blog. I will blog on the subject of this word in the near future). Why were there virtually no replays of any controversial plays or calls in last night's basketball game? I suspect it has something to do with a proclamation handed down from upon high by some combination of CBS and NCAA higher-ups that highlighting this sort of suspicious whining is not commensurate with the "sportsmanship" of college athletics (note to potential bloggers: one downside of blogspot.com is its lack of spellcheck available on the editing site, but fortunately i spelled commensurate right; I don't usually rely heavily on spellcheck but in the frenetic pace at which the blogosphere races, you need to be fast, fast, fast to keep your posts flowing forth at any culturally useful speed).

I am not going to launch into a cliched diatribe (re: cliche, accent marks also appear to be unavailable) on how college sports aren't really all that much about college or sportsmanship, but suffice it to say if a pronouncement by Les Moonves is why CBS wouldn't show replays and why the announcers refused to question several questionable calls, well, I think that's a shame.

That would be a good name for a blog: thatsashame.com. Actually, I think most current blogs could be called that. That or idisagreewithothers.com.

If I had any evidence of this conspiracy, I think presenting it here first would be a good example of what a commenter to this site from earlier referred to as the "sidestream media" [hereinafter, Sidestream Media]. I'm still grappling with that term, but I think that's what this would be. Then when I later sell out and refuse to post such stories, more relevant and honest bloggers would do so and decry PositiveMode, saying that they are the ones telling you what the Sidestream Media refuse to print. Although this is a possibility, I'm not going to jump ahead of the game and decry the Sidestream Media just yet; but I remain wary. Do not hesitate to inform me if I have gone sidestream. (I strenuously assure you, this is not nonsense).

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are just writing whatever comes into your head, aren't you?

Sort of like subtitles for your train of thought...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home